We all want our 4 legged family to have lush, healthy, glossy, flowing manes and tails right?Even if we plait, pull & trim we still need great healthy hair to work with.
Some pro tips for show ready mane & tail care;
- Manes – don’t over rug or over heat the neck.Constant over-heating keeps the follicle active and combined with friction from neck rugs can cause hair fall leaving you with less mane.Good airflow and natural fabrics are they key.
- Mane & Tail – less is more!Shampoo only when really needed, not when you want to it feel squeaky clean. Pre-mix your shampoo with water before washing and rinse, rinse, rinse really well!Detergent residue can build up and cause rubbing/itching.
- Keep the mane bed or dock clean and don’t overload with products. Deep condition once weekly rather than applying several products daily. HSE Intensify Hair Mask was designed for this exact purpose.Treat the base of your horses mane or tail as you would your own scalp.
- Brush less… brushing long hairs creates friction, friction equals breakage.Never brush long hairs while wet.
- Use wide toothed combs and brush from the bottom up when detangling.
- Keeping very long hair in braids/plaits can be helpful, but be very aware of safety!Murphy’s (horse) Law says if they can rub or get a plait hung up on a fence they will, this can have catastrophic consequences.If you do braid long hair, keep it loose at the base and slightly tighter from a few inches down.Same applies for tail braiding or bagging.